httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: virtual hosting
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:00:08 GMT

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, EMRE KUNT (Ebi Bsk. - Sistem Prog) wrote:
>
> > I added the lines, below, to httpd.conf file. It doesnt work. What is wrong?
>
> Please direct this kind of question to the user support mailing list; see
> http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html .

Yep.

> (Hint: your <VirtualHost *> lines should not have a '*' there but should
> be <VirtualHost mainhost.firm.com> and <VirtualHost host2.firm.com>
> instead.)

Oops.  Actually, the argument to <VirtualHost> should match the argument
to NameVirtualHost; ie. an IP address or "*".  In this case, the two
directives don't match, which could be part of the problem.

Hostnames shouldn't be used because they create unnecessary dependencies
on DNS during startup (when they just get resolved to IPs anyway).

Joshua.