httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: ap_invoke_handler
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:16:11 GMT
At 12:45 PM 10/21/2003, André Malo wrote:
>* "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> Answer, the byterange filter removes itself.  It *knows* there are no partially
>> processed buckets that it is holding on to.  Nobody else is allowed to add
>> or remove a filter - but the filter may remove itself when it knows this is
>> a safe operation.
>
>Sorry Bill, that doesn't match the reality. Think of AddOutputFilterByType and a content-type
changing filter module (PHP output filter, for example).

>The core triggers a filter insertation for *every* content-type change.
>And - actually, this can be quite useful (again, think of PHP. The script may return different
content types).

All of the by-type filter changes occur BEFORE bytes start passing.  I read
this request as the possibility that the user was trying to modify the list of
filters after some filtering had started.  The part that had me most concerned
was removing the filter, which is dangerous after filtering begins, for the reasons
I mentioned before.

Of course you can add and remove filters however you like before we actually
process the request :)  Sorry for any confusion.

Bill