httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: ab hang
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:22:55 GMT
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> Has anyone seen this? Having checked everything possible short of
> debugging ab itself, I don't have a clue.

ab is busted :(

>  $ ./ab http://127.0.0.1:4874/
>  This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.40-dev <$Revision: 1.121.2.1 $> apache-2.0
>  Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
>  Copyright (c) 1998-2002 The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/
>
>  Benchmarking 127.0.0.1 (be patient)...apr_poll: The timeout specified has expired (70007)

ab started failing with 2.0.47.  It had been converted to do non-blocking
connect some time ago, but non-blocking connect was busted in APR (at least on
Unix).  Once APR was fixed, some holes were exposed in ab.

There is one (?) fix in 2.0.48-dev that helps the most common hole I've seen.
There is another change in 2.1-dev (needs another vote to backport) that fills
another hole.  I still occasionally get a failure with some mishandling of
EISCONN.  I suspect that APR needs to check for this when apr_connect() is
re-issued on a non-blocking socket and realize that everything is hunky dory.