httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: malformed header causes segfault
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:22:59 GMT
Brian Akins wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 09:56, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>next step is to get backtrace from coredump...  do you know how to
>>enable core dumps and get backtraces?  (if not, what OS is this and what
>>version of the web server?)
> Yes.  But I can never get them when I let httpd change id (ie, from root
> to httpd).  I set CoreDumpDirectory to /tmp, but no dumps.  If I run
> everything as myself (without port 80), I can get dumps.
> This is httpd 2.0.47, RedHat AS 2.1.

Check avail disk space in tmp, check ulimits in the shell used to start
the server.  Linux >= 2.4 requires a special prctl() invocation in order
to get core dumps from programs that switch identity, but Apache2.0.47
should be taking care of that for you as long as it is built on RHAS
2.1.  To verify, find the call to prctl() in os/unix/unixd.c, stick
"#error gobble" on the line right before it, type make, and verify that
compilation broke.  (i.e., verify that Apache recognized that prctl()
was possible and necessary on your system)

for ulimits, the core dump size is the normal problem

# ulimit -c unlimited
# apachectl start
# ulimit -c (whatever you had before)

View raw message