httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Problem with getting custom HTTP header in IHS 2.42.x
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:00:19 GMT
Swapan Gupta wrote:
> Please find the information inline.

If the name of the header is HTTP_FOO, then you have to look it up via
the string HTTP_FOO.

Example:  If the client sends the request header "Content-Length", then
you have to look it up with the string "Content-Length".

> What generates this header field?  A CGI or a module?
>
> [Swapan] This header is generated by another module.
>
> If a module:
>    In which phase does the module set the header?
> [Swapan] Access Phase
>
>    Which table does the module put the header?
> [Swapan] request_rec->headers_in

Why put it in r->headers_in if it is intended for the response?  That
doesn't sound right.

> In which phase is your module looking for the header field?
>
> [Swapan] In my module, I look for the header in the Access phase itself.

What have you done to guarantee that your module's access hook runs
after the access hook of the module that sets this header?

> Which table does your module look in -- headers_out or err_headers_out?
> [Swapan] My module also looks in request_rec->headers_in
>
> What is the exact code your module uses to try to find this header field
> in the table?
>
> [Swapan] Please find the relevant code snippet below:

apr_table_get(r->headers_in, "FOO") will never find "HTTP_FOO"
regardless of whether you're running IHS or Apache.

Note that for CGIs and mod_ext_filter filters and maybe some other stuff
(SSI exec= perhaps), ap_add_common_vars() is called, and that maps
headers such as "FOO" to "HTTP_FOO".  But it doesn't put them in
r->headers_in; instead it puts them in r->subprocess_env.  I can't see
where else this magic "HTTP_" prefix can come from.