httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: adding map_to_storate to mod_example.c
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:28:06 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Greg Stein wrote:
>> That's not much of an example. All it really shows is how to register a
>> hook. A better example would be to *use* the hook in some way.
> whoops.  I guess I did leave out the explanatory comments.  outside of
> that, it pretty much follows the example in almost all the other hooks
> by doing nothing, so it probably doesn't make sense to add real
> functionality there unless you want real functionality everywhere.
> assuming mod_example is just meant to show all the hooks and how to hook
> into them, new patch with comments attached.

apparently it is (i.e., show syntactically how to use the API features)

latest patch committed to 2.1-dev

Given that map_to_storage/translate_name requirements for certain
modules are actually interesting, it would be cool to have a small
example module that shows, with minimal clutter, how a module that
serves objects from outside of the filesystem ought to handle the
various hooks, and such issues as

. what should r->filename be
. how to serve URIs that may have paths that aren't valid for filesystem
objects (see recent discussion where URI containing ":" couldn't be
served on Win32 because the module didn't bypass core's translate_name
hook, which tried to map the object onto a file under DocumentRoot and
realized that the resulting filename would be invalid)

View raw message