httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: mod_ldap Cache Issues
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:28:21 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:

>> I ran into similar issues to this deadlock with Apache 1.3.28
>> (EAPI_MM) and auth_ldap 1.6.0 (with a shared cache) on Solaris 8.
>
> Actually I should correct the record here -- the issue I ran into on
> Solaris actually turned out to be due to building against a rather old
> Solaris 8 patch level.  Rebuilding against a newer patch level seems
> to have stabilized this.  The instability was in the Apache core in
> this case, not in auth_ldap.

I was wrong yet again.

My first issue with Apache 1.3.28 on Solaris 8 is not auth_ldap related
-- but it is not a patch level issue.  I can get it to hang quite easily
with 'ab' with a 25K static HTML file and 50K requests with concurrency
of 64.  I can still get Apache 1.3.28 to hang on Solaris 8 with lower
concurrencies, but less easily.  I cannot get it to hang, however, if I
increase MaxSpareServers from 10 (the default) to 15.

Once that was resolved, however, then I discovered that Apache 1.3.28
(EAPI_MM) with auth_ldap 1.6.0 (with shared memory cache) will hang just
like Apache 2.0.47 when the LDAP cache's entry count is exceeded, i.e.
while trying to purge the cache.

I guess the solution is just to set the cache big enough for now...

--
Jess Holle