httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] styleguide tweak
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:24:16 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:07:23AM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:

>>I am NOT saying opening braces can or should be on their own line for
>>regular code.  ONLY when they follow a conditional expression that spans
>>lines.
>

> I'd prefer they get their own line all the time :-), so I'll certainly
> agree with the sentiment of requiring them after a multi-line conditional.

well, I can certainly understand that up to a point...  long ago the
product I was working on adopted a style with opening brace always on
its own line, and I adjusted my brain as appropriate, and it feels
natural *in the scope of other code following similar style*...  and of
course opening brace on its own line is the one true way since it is
consistent with the first brace of a function

one true way or not, consistency with other style guidelines for this
body of code and the bulk of existing code is more important, and I
think this special case handling of the opening brace is going to be a
wart... doesn't match aesthetically, and is an extra rule that doesn't
solve a problem that a number of people have encountered

but I don't really want to argue either, just put up my 2cents and then
shut up

I'm really done :)