httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: URLs containing colon: Win32 vs. Linux
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:13:54 GMT
   We have seen this before on NetWare.  The reason why NetWare and
Win32 return a 403 is because they both use drives and paths separated
by a ':' in their file paths and they both share the same filepath.c
code.  If I remember right, it gets caught in apr_filepath_merge()
because of a bad path.  Since Linux and others are '/' rooted, the error
gets caught somewhere else.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

>>> trawick@attglobal.net Thursday, September 25, 2003 6:52:55 AM >>>
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>> It's probably apr_filepath_merge in server/core.c:ap_core_translate

>> (cannot verify from here).
>

> That was my top suspect.  I'll see if I can build on Windows and fix
the
> logging in this area.

yep, it was ap_translate_name()

This is a lot better than the previous silence:

[Thu Sep 25 08:50:52 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20024)The
given path misformatted or contained invalid characters: Invalid URI
in request GET /dobedobedo;session=0:0 HTTP/1.1

though it is pretty wordy :)

> But, in the real world failure the module which is supposed to handle

> this has a translate hook (pretty darn sure) and would ordinarily
handle
> that stage as long as it knows it is supposed to handle that request.

> And we don't seem to be getting that module's translate hook called.
But
> I am pretty fuzzy in the operation of that module, so better tracing

> should probably be my first goal so there is no doubt where it is
failing.

off to look at this