httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Jacques Clar" <JJC...@novell.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] default MAXMEMFREE value
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:18:20 GMT
MAXMEMFREE fixes were checked in the 2.1 tree last week for most of the
MPMs (except Win32). A back port has also been proposed. I will like to
propose insertion of the MAXMEMFREE directive in the configuration file.
I am suggesting that 100 (KBytes) should be used as a default size.Used
within the MPMs, it controls the maximum free memory hold by each
running process/thread and scale down APR memory foot print when
bucketing huge files. Running load test on a 4 CPUs server with NetWare
is showing 2 things:1- MPM-APR allocated memory could now be controlled
whatever the data size going through the filtered I/O system.2- The
performance hit is minimal (less than 1%) using MAXMEMFREE set to 100 or
higher in my test environment (Running caching modules with few files of
529 KB size and a short refreshing interval). APR memory footprint with
250 threadsis 82 MB in that case. JJ