httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: URLs containing colon: Win32 vs. Linux
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:50:11 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Does anybody have a quick answer, like "can't have colon anywhere in uri
> path" or  "we're busted" or something else?
>
> URL is http://127.0.0.1:8080/dobedobedo;session=0:0
>
> dobedobedo doesn't really exist
>
> Apache 2.0.47 on Win32:
>  -> 403 (no reason logged)
>
> Apache 2.0.47 on Linux:
>  -> 404
>
> I'll try to figure out which filepath operation is blowing and make sure
> we log something for such errors and see what we should be doing.

Jeff and I had a discussion and here is our conclusion...

The is a valid URL -if- the content is not being served out of the file
system. It should be possible for mod_php, for instance, to serve this
URL. The problem occurs when ap_core_translate, which is the last
translate_name hook to run, does the final mapping of a URI to a
filename because the URI above does not map to a valid filename.  A
module like mod_php would have to determine -sometime in the
translate_name phase- that it is serving the object requested and
prevent ap_core_translate from running (returning OK on it's translate
name hook?) the make darn sure it's handler did not decline the request.

Does that analysis sound reasonable?

Bill