httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: httpd 1.3 running processes mem usage
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:07:38 GMT
--On Wednesday, August 6, 2003 12:33 PM -0500 Austin Gonyou
<austin@coremetrics.com> wrote:

> If I have a Linux server using httpd 1.3 and has 1GB ram and has 1012
> httpd processes. When I look at that process's ram stats, I have a
> vmSize of say 7032KB, vmRSS of 2056KB, and  vmEXE of 2072KB.
>
> Is the size I'm most concerned with when looking at per/process memory
> utilization going to be vmSize? We're trying to tune our servers a bit
> better until we're ready to move to httpd2, which will sometime at the
> beginning of 2004. But help around this diagnosis would be appreciated.

Linux uses optimistic memory allocation.  Therefore, vmSize will be what has
been asked for, but may not be allocated (or is swapped to disk).  vmEXE will
most likely be shared across all of the httpd processes (copy on write).

I'd be most concerned about vmRSS which is the resident memory size - it is
how much is in physical memory.

"I Feel Lucky" on "RSS memory size" yields:

<https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2002-February/msg01128.html>

That has a bit more information.  -- justin