httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: typemaps and extensions
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:08:46 GMT

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Because anyone that sets up the manual/ without properly configuring
> their .html extention to map to the typemap handler will spill out garbage
> on every request.

Even before this change, you couldn't browse the manual without using a
specific suggested configuration.

> Of course you can argue that languages must be set
> up correctly, but one of several guiding principals is that nobody must
> modify their httpd.conf file to grab the latest and greatest version of
> Apache 2.0 (this is why the auth changes are deferred until 2.0, because
> the list of modules to load changes significantly.)

True.  But it is only the manual ;-)  Nobody's existing site was broken.

I'm still gradually being pushed towards splitting the manual from the
regular httpd release because of issues like this.  But I know this is a
controversial question.

A reminder to folks who don't pay attention to the docs list: there is a
growing list of documentation in alternative formats (MS help,
language-specific non-negotiated tarballs, pdf) at
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/docs/

Joshua.