httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Apache Code Inspection Report (fwd)
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:15:43 GMT
(re. the poor quality cnet story that is just advertising, and the
corresponding slashdot post)

Yea... umh... some of their analysis is pretty poor.  I didn't forward
this earlier as I assumed someone more involved in httpd devlopment right
now would.

But yes, there are some issues they point out that should be fixed if they
are still present.  Fixing them certainly won't significantly change the
overall software quality though.

The attachments are at:

http://icarus.apache.org/~marc/reasoning/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:17:56 -0700
From: Jeff Klagenberg <jeff.klagenberg@reasoning.com>
To: lars@apache.org, thom@planetarytramp.net, marcs@znep.com,
     striker@apache.org, trawick@apache.org
Subject: Apache Code Inspection Report

Hello,

Recently Reasoning ran our inspection service on of the Apache httpd 2.1 for Linux code base
(a version checked out on 1/31/03).  We did find a number of defects that should be brought
to the team's attention, the reports generated are attached.  The total number of defects
discovered was 31, the majority being Null Pointer Dereferences (NPDs) and a couple Unitialized
Variable.  Some of these NPDs occurred during an out of memory condition, most of our clients
choose to have these identified to provide a more graceful / informative exit.

The attachments are:
*	metrics-linux-apache-public.pdf    A report showing the distribution of defects within the
application.  Customer's have found that files / classes with a higher density of defects
our service detects have a higher risk of other defects as well.

*	defect-linux-apache-public.pdf     A report detailing each defect found in the source code,
including the conditions under which the defect becomes an issue.

We do hope you find the reports as useful as our clients do.  I am curious to receive any
feedback on how useful you feel these are.  Please contact me if you have any questions or
comments.

Best Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Klagenberg
Director, Product Management
Reasoning Incorporated
+1 650 316 4374 office
+1 650 316 4430 fax
+1 650 430 3677 mobile
http://www.reasoning.com

 <<metrics-linux-apache-public.pdf>>  <<defect-linux-apache-public.pdf>>