httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Apache Code Inspection Report (fwd)
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:28:30 GMT
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, [ISO-8859-1] André Malo wrote:

> ID 2 ... hmm, am I blind or don't we have an abort_fn registered in our
> pools? Why? That would solve a lot of problems, IMHO. If there's an
> abort_fn registered, all IDs referencing to this one are invalid.

There is such a feature in the pools code, but as far as I'm aware we
don't use it.  We intentionally do not check for OOM conditions because,
though we've had many heated debates about this, we've always arrived at
the consensus that if you hit OOM, your box is hosed anyway and virtually
any effort you make to correct it other than dying will just make things
worse.  Not to mention the fact that several platforms (including linux
iirc) have optimistic memory allocation, so even if you /are/ out of
memory, you probably won't know it, so the checks would be useless anyhow.

--Cliff