httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: typemaps and extensions
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:15:15 GMT
At 04:41 AM 7/8/2003, André Malo wrote:
>[moved from another list]
>
>* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>>That's correct. The pure *.html files contain type-maps (got a rid of
>>>multiviews).
>>
>> NOOOO!!!!
>>
>> Never use foo.html as a typemap descriptor!  Please use foo.html.var
>> to describe the available variants.
>
>Why not? Extensions are totally irrelevant in HTTP universe.
>We've removed multiviews for efficiency reasons. And *.html are our stable
>URLs.

Because anyone that sets up the manual/ without properly configuring
their .html extention to map to the typemap handler will spill out garbage
on every request.  Of course you can argue that languages must be set
up correctly, but one of several guiding principals is that nobody must
modify their httpd.conf file to grab the latest and greatest version of
Apache 2.0 (this is why the auth changes are deferred until 2.0, because
the list of modules to load changes significantly.)

I'm very uncomfortable releasing 2.0.47 with this change.

Bill