httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: mod_deflate and load
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:23:52 GMT
I'm cross posting this to dev@httpd.apache.org.

> I had been a user of Apache 1.3 and mod_gzip, but I recently upgraded to
> Apache 2.0 and I'm trying to use mod_deflate.
>
> I got it working fairly well, but it's causing high load and page
> timeouts during peak periods of operation for my site.
>
> The output I'm compressing is generated from mod_perl scripts.
>
> mod_gzip had not had this problem.  It's possible that there are other
> factors (the whole system was upgraded), so I can't absolutely blame
> mod_deflate, but removing it certainly fixes the load problem.

sounds like a cpu load issue.

> I've been dropping the DeflateCompressionLevel, which seems to help, but
> I'm already down to 2 and I'm still getting timeouts.

I find that surprising.. the reason I do is when I put it on one of our
production machines we saw a 10% in cpu load, but no timeouts (we used
the hard-coded value of '1' then)

what do you mean by 'timeouts'.

> Is there any other way I can improve the efficiency of it?

first.. I would examine the cpu utilization/throughput of your box.
maybe even reverting to 1.3.x/mod_gzip for a period and see if that
works for you.

> Would changing DeflateBufferSize from 8096 to something else, help?
>
> Are there any plans to improve the efficiency of mod_deflate in the future?
not directly.. most of the time spent is in zlib's library, and the
standard filter routines that apache uses.

> I'm running Apache/2.0.46 (prefork MPM) and mod_perl-1.99_09 on Red Hat
> 9.  Server has dual 800Mhz CPUs and 1.5GB ram.

may I suggest you move to the worker MPM, I'm thinking you don't have
enough ram in your machine for a pre-fork/mod-perl combo.
we run with 32 threads, and it seems ok most of the time.
just be careful of your 3rd party perl modules.. some may not be threadsafe.
(dev@perl.apache.org would be the appropiate place to ask about that)

> Thanks
>
> -bill

regards