httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: Peek at POSTed data
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:06:08 GMT
At 06:36 PM 6/16/2003, Michael Corcoran wrote:

>Would it be possible to (or how would I?) be able to implement a function that would have
a prototype similar to ap_reset_post_body(request_rec, void *, int);  This function could
be called after someone has already run through the full ap_should_client_block/ap_get_client_block/etc.
procedure calls and drained the socket of any post body data.  The function would cause Apache
to think that none of the above functions had been called yet and use the buffer provided
as if it was the data sent by the user.

Use what buffer?

It's up to you to insert a filter to 'buffer' the request.  Consider that a post body
might be 250 bytes, and it might be 250MB.  Where does Apache draw the
line, and what would you have 'us' do when it's exceeded?

It's far easier for your filter to simply 'peek' into the posted body as the final
handler is reading it.  Decide what you want to keep/use/discard, and let
that handler have the entire post'ed body to do with as it will.

If you want to buffer it yourself in a filter, you need to consider what are the
thresholds for setting aside the data in a tempfile, or discarding them, or
simply keeping them in memory.

Bill

Bill