httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Peek at POSTed data
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:17:10 GMT
At 03:58 PM 6/16/2003, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>--On Monday, June 16, 2003 3:37 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

>>You must implement a peek-ahead filter that sets aside the post body.
>>Once someone calls the filter stack later, you simply return your set aside
>>buckets.  Several modules do something similar today, either for incomplete
>>data (like charset_lite, which might not have a complete trailing character
>>code sequence) or ssl (which might decrypt more data than the caller
>>wished to have returned.)
>
>This would only work if you can wait until or after the handler has been invoked.  From
Michael's original email, he wanted the data in the fixups hook which is before the handler
is invoked.  Therefore, a peek-ahead filter would only be invoked during/after the handler.

>This might be enough of a widespread concern that we need to figure out how to cleanly
address this.  But, I don't think we have anything in place for that currently.  -- justin

Why do you say that?  SSL is a connection level filter that can persist beyond
a single request.  There is nothing to say that one can't author a pre-handler
filter that looks at the post data before someone comes along with some
get_client_block style call.

Of course you have to pay attention to when your filter should try to peek ahead,
e.g. not attempt to read a body from a HEAD style request.