httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Single logging process/thread?
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:32:27 GMT
Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was hoping to get confirmation that Apache uses a single process, and/or
> thread for Apache 2.x, to perform logging, as opposed to each child
> process/thread logging its own entries?

no, the logging provided with Apache (ErrorLog support, mod_log_config)
logs on the thread/process that handled the request

modules taking advantage of logging hooks have some latitude to do it
differently

   Also, I'd like to confirm that
> the logging takes place as the user who started the server (usually root),
> as opposed to the user:group defined in the httpd.conf?

with Apache-provided logging, files are opened as the user who started
the server and the writes to the file are performed by the user:group
defined in httpd.conf