httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: httpd-2.0.46 needs gcc_s? (on solaris 8)
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:48:57 GMT
harald deppeler wrote:
> Still bugs me that other packages (BIND, Sendmail, ... ) we build on that
> machine don't seem to reference libgcc_s ... and the 2.0.44 Apache did
> not, either. I'll check whether we were really using the same version
> of gcc for packaging 2.0.44.

I recall people with the same feeling about mod_access picking up a
requirement for something in libgcc.a between one release and another.
Normally, a library requirement is added by some code you can point at
that actually calls into the library (e.g., call getaddrinfo and you
need libsocket.so or something), whereas the libgcc.a/libgcc_s thing is
required by the generated object code, not by anything most people can grok.

some other packages have this issue...  how about this for a suggested
work-around for some other package's dependency?

"- - Add libgcc.a into libmysqlclient.a:

cd /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
ar -x /opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/2.7.2/libgcc.a
ar -r libmysqlclient.a *.o
rm *.o
"

here somebody suggests using different C code to drop a dependency on
libgcc.a:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/1999-September/000101.html

no way do we want to think about whether or not some code we write is
going to cause gcc to need a library (IMHO, of course :) )