httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Knight <Christopher.D.Kni...@nasa.gov>
Subject fixed -- mod_mime.c#find_ct() redux
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:21:22 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> It looks like Catacomb (0.8.0 is what I just downloaded) is doing the
> same thing in its dav_repos_set_headers as mod_dav_svn.  That hook
> runs after the fixups hooks, so it just trounces on the content-type
> that mod_mime tried to set with ModMimeUsePathInfo.

Ah, good call. I've fixed Catacomb to not do this anymore unless the
RDBMS has Content-Type defined.

>> In doing some debugging, with mod_dav_fs (with DEBUG_GET_HANDLER
>> defined in
>> repos.c) I've found that find_ct is not called to identify the type. I'm
>
> Well, here, find_ct is called in the fixups stage.  So, I'm not sure
> what's going on for you.  Some more specifics could be helpful.

I think because content_type was already defined, it skipped calling
ap_run_type_checker?

>> assuming the inability to run PHP scripts from a DAV server is the same
>> problem. Bug or feature?
>
> Note that since PHP 4.2.3, which (I believe) introduced the PHP
> handler for httpd-2.0 and removed the PHP filter, it's not possible to
> do this chaining. Implementing PHP as a filter got to be a nightmare,
> and we eventually gave up and did it as a handler instead.  One of the
> drawbacks is that PHP can't work off of virtual repositories or
> anything that has its own handler now.
>
> (PHP requires file-backed input into its parser which kills it for
> Subversion and httpd-2.0.  I believe there may be some work to allow
> PHP to take in push-based streams like Apache httpd output filters can
> deliver - when that is ready, we can reexamine PHP as filter again and
> determine what needs to happen on httpd's side to make it all happy -
> there is definitely some work that has to be done to httpd as well.)

This is a major issue with non-fs backends...One option would be to
re-do the filter to use a temporary file to feed to PHP (a gross hack, I
know.) Thanks for the details/history...

>> Also, I would highly recommend that testing of Apache include testing
>> the
>> GET handler in mod_dav_fs. There are other backends (Catacomb, ?)
>> that use
>> mod_dav as their front-end and who handle GETs themselves and we're
>> running
>> into these issues.
>

> httpd-test's perl-framework already has some tests for WebDAV that
> does exactly this.  Feel free to help us expand our tests over on
> test-dev@httpd.apache.org.  -- justin

Strangely, I am not seeing the problem with mod_dav_fs anymore...Perhaps
I was hallucinating...I guess it "works for me". :^o

Good news is I now have a much firmer grasp of the internal workings of
Apache...

Is there an active project to write/improve the documentation of these
internal workings?