httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: FW: httpd.exp for Apache 2.0.43
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:34:46 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> When I've ported mod_perl 2.0 build to AIX, I have resorted to just
>> using -berok (which is one of the flags enabled by -G). -G itself
>> didn't quite work, I don't remember why. However I was told that it
>> depends on which compiler is used, I've heard that this
>> postpone-symbol-resolving doesn't always work.
>

> actually I should have said " -Wl,-brtl", as that is what we use with
> apr (and any apr apps that pick up apr ldflags)...  as you pointed out,
> -G is more than just rtl

Yes, I forgot to mention -brtl. So I'm using -brtl, -berok

> the only part that I've heard depends on the compiler is this:
>
> libtool doesn't enable run-time linking with gcc in cases where it would
> do so for the IBM compiler
>
> Apache handled this issue for apxs starting in 2.0.45 by doing something
> we should have done all along: pull in APR's ldflags when linking DSOs
> so that we no longer relied on libtool to enable run-time linking

Cool. We don't use libtool for building mod_perl. We get the mix of flags from
perl and apr-config, apxs...

> the only part I've heard about where run-time linking doesn't always
> work is when two pieces of code implement the same symbol, since there
> is a flat namespace... traditional AIX dynamic linking is two-level
> namespace, where for each symbol the binary indicates which library will
> resolve it

I wish it was also reporting this kind of problems. Normally the loader on AIX
just silently bails out :( Luckily I don't use AIX for quite a few years
already, it was always a pain to build anything at all.

> if mod_perl is built with apxs or with apr-config ldflags, then it uses
> run-time linking...  Jens-Uwe Mager had done a lot of work with mod_perl
> and Apache 1.3 on AIX and indicated that run-time linking was the way to
> go...  that, and anecdotes from other folks with mod_perl on AIX,
> influenced the choice to use run-time linking by default with apr and
> Apache 2.0

;)