httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: 2.0 bug? trailing / redirect problem in mod_dir
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 06:05:45 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Monday, June 2, 2003 11:23 AM +1000 Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org>
> wrote:
>
>> it should honour this configuration and not ignore it, issuing a
>> redirect, despite the existence of DocumentRoot/foo/dirname. This is
>> how it worked in Apache-1.3 and appears to be broken in Apache-2.0.
>

> Apache 1.3 gives precedent to directories over locations.  I'm not clear
> how you reached that conclusion, but I just tested it on 1.3 (and 2.0),
> and in the presence of a collision, the directory is returned not the
> location.
>
> What you might be suspicious of is that 2.0 may invoke the handler
> associated with the location and not the default handler.  In 1.3,
> mod_mime would not run the SetHandler line if it was a directory - see
> mod_mime.c:626.  However, in 2.0, the SetHandler enforcement was taken
> out of mod_mime and placed in core_override_type in core.c:3222 which
> *does* act upon a directory. Therefore, under 2.0, the SetHandler line
> is enacted, where in 1.3, it was not.
>
> I think the proper thing may be to have core_override_type follow the
> 1.3 semantics and punt on a directory.  But, I'm not sure.  Thoughts?

I did some more digging and tracing and the problem seems to be as follows:

in apache 1.3 mod_dir was a running as a response handler, allowing other
response handlers to be inserted before it and thus override it. For example
mod_perl was registering itself to handle DIR_MAGIC_TYPE and was overriding
mod_dir if there was r->handler set to "perl-script".

in httpd 2.0, mod_dir is running as a fixup handler. So if a module wants to
override the behavior as in 1.3 it can't to do that. Moreover fixups are
RUN_ALL, so it won't be very helpful to even insert an earlier handler it this
phase.

The only workaround so far is to shortcut the trans handler (or could shortcut
mod_mime's typemap as well), but that's ugly and inconsistent with apache 1.3.

PerlModule Apache::RequestRec
PerlTransHandler \
   'sub {shift->uri eq "/hello-world" ? Apache::OK : Apache::DECLINED }'
<Location /hello-world>
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlResponseHandler Apache::HelloWorld
</Location>