httpd-dev mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts details.html.en details.html.ko.euc-kr examples.html.en examples.html.ko.euc-kr fd-limits.html.en fd-limi
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 12:10:45 GMT
* Thom May wrote:

> I don't quite follow this I'm afraid - it's useful to know *where*? because
> surely we can just have a check out and rebuild procedure on daedalus and
> where ever else needs to have those files.
> I don't get why having this stuff in cvs actually helps us at all - we're
> not making any changes to it directly, so it doesn't need to be under change
> management. Same as the configure scripts, and all the other generated code.

Not so long time ago the build process wasn't stable enough (produced
different results in different environments). After some tricks to work
around the problems we could consider this point resolved now.

The last important thing for me is: We lose control. For example, when
committing changes in Korean or Japanese I treat them as opaque binary data
and handle them very carefully (double checking the diffs before the
commit).
If we drop the html files from CVS we need more eyes on the online docs and
more docco eyes on (pre-)releases. And of course, tons of java code
installed on every system that builds from CVS. (need to mention that
somewhere in /dev/?)

Said that, I'm trusting the build system now and give a +-0 on dropping the
generated files - except the generated manpages (these would change their
last-modification-data everytime otherwise).

nd
--
"Eine Eieruhr", erklärt ihr Hermann, "besteht aus einem Ei. Du nimmst
das Ei und kochst es. Wenn es hart ist, sind fünf Minuten um. Dann weißt