httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: 403's not getting logged?
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 17:41:16 GMT

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I'm experiencing a should-not-happen condition in apache 1.3.27, and
> wondered if anyone else could verify for me. In the case of a 403
> error caused by incorrect directory permissions, there is no error
> log entry. If the file is unreadable, the 403 goes in the error log.
> But if the directory has bogus permissions, there's no entry.
> This is on 1.3.27 I've tested this on 2 servers so far, and it seems
> consistent.

Yes, this is a very longstanding and very irritating omission.  I don't
think I would be exagerating if I said this was the source of hundreds of
confused queries to the users mailing list and newsgroup.

I browsed through the default handler a while back trying to figure out
where this error was getting dropped, but I ran out of time and never got
back to it.  Someone who knows the code better could probably find it
faster.

Joshua.