httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc M. Adkins" <mma...@Doorways.org>
Subject RE: Who decides what modules go in core release?
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 08:47:45 GMT
Not to beat a dead horse...

> a) It is going to make it much more difficult to troubleshoot
> configuration problems

I absolutely see your point.

On the other hand, having mod_macro would allow configuration files to be
better structured and arguably more maintainable.  It might be useful to be
able to say "here, instantiate this macro, it will solve your problem."  It
might be that a facility of this nature would encourage better configuration
file techniques (tongue somewhat in cheek here).

> b) It is going to make it really difficult for GUI tools like Webmin or
> Comanche to correctly parse/Save Apache configuration files (it is hard as
> it is now with IfDefines and IfModules all over the place :)

I must admit that I don't use either of these tools.  I thought that they
pretty much replaced manual editing of configuration files.  If Webmin and
Comanche don't use these facilities, that's fine, as long as they're
available for those of use who need them.

On the other hand, if Webmin and Comanche must read in existing
configuration files...well I can understand the complexity.  But in that
case...

---

I held off in my last post, but my counter-example to almost all the
arguments I'm seeing is mod_rewrite, which is as complex a module as one
could imagine.  How simple is it to troubleshoot mod_rewrite issues?  How do
Webmin and Comanche handle mod_rewrite directives?  How, to go back to a
configuration files?

I figure mod_rewrite is part of the basic distribution because it is useful.
Certainly not because it is easy to understand or use (and don't get me
wrong, I'm a _big_ fan of mod_rewrite).  It seems like whatever arguments
pro and con apply to one module apply to the other.

---

I can post a httpd.conf file fragment with a lot of mod_macro usage if
anyone cares.  The configuration file was getting longer and longer, not
really complicated but getting hard to keep track of, and some code was
duplicated so that it was becoming harder to maintain.  Then I found
mod_macro and now it's neat and petite.  Well, it makes _me_ happy anyway.

But I don't want to be stubborn just because I'm recently converted.  I just
wanted to go a few rounds of the discussion so that the issues were aired
properly.  I'm (probably) done now... ;)

mma