httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc M. Adkins" <mma...@Doorways.org>
Subject RE: Less is more was Re: Who decides what modules go in core release?
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 17:03:30 GMT
> If there's going to be a tendency at all, it's going to be to
> remove modules from the core rather than adding them.

With many classes of software tools, usability is directly proportional to
the set of standard features that comes out of the box.  I would rather use
C++ than Java, but Java came with a usable set of object classes from day
one.  C++ followed the 'less is more' theory and the STL didn't come out for
_years_, making it hard to write portable code.  The main argument in favor
of .NET is that it comes with a huge class tree.

I'm sure that there are some modules that can be removed from the core, but
be very careful.  That way lies chaos.  There's a critical mass thing
working here.  I'd hate to download Apache 2.5 and find out mod_rewrite was
now an option and maintenance on it had been dropped.

> - a CPAN-like system that makes it easy to install and build
> separate modules.
> I believe the closest thing our community has to this is ApacheToolbox.
> Furthering its development and making it easy to use and integral
> into our
> processes could make this a reality.

Yes, CPAN is very good.  But having a fully functional core distribution is
better.  When Perl goes out a set of modules comes with it that makes it
immediately usable.  What's in CPAN _may_ be usable, but isn't always.  I'm
always happy to see that in a new release one of my favorite CPAN modules
has made the cut.  It means increased dependability for that module and
increased utility for Perl as a whole.  Plus I can send out scripts with
that module and not have people whining about downloading, building, and
installing something "extra".

And CPAN is an exception in this regard.  The modules on CPAN are generally
documented and working.  This is unusual with respect to code repositories
(just look at SourceForge).

mma