httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Is it a subrequest, a redirect or a fast redirect?
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 18:38:14 GMT
At 10:29 AM 5/29/2003, you wrote:

>Looking through the bugreports and the problems we have...
>internal_fast_redirect saves some CPU cycles (I guess), but it's finally
>(currently) an unclean thing.

This was (in 1.3) an unclean thing in mod_negotiation.  Early in 2.0,
I significantly refactored it to assure we 'initialized things properly'
between subrequests and fast_internal_redirects.  And finally, just
to ensure it was well tested, moved it into mod_dir and possibly
other places.

Now if we cannot maintain that code, I strongly suggest we drop that
feature altogether in Apache 2.2 and revert it's use in mod_dir, and within
mod_negotiation for 2.0 and 1.3.28.

>IMHO we should drop and discourage the usage fast_redirects until the
>concept (subreq/filters/data stream/redirects) has reached some more
>maturity. Normal internal_redirects may be (a bit) slower, but they are
>approved and work as expected, since they process a complete request.

We must either ditch it or support it, all the way around.

Bill