httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject [1.3 PATCH] don't hold accept mutex while running 3rd-party code at termination
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 14:51:07 GMT
two scenarios make it a bad idea to be able to hold the accept mutex
when exiting a child process for idle child cleanup:

1) a child exit hook or a pchild cleanup takes a while

This results in a brief server outage since other children can't accept
new connections.

(If a child exit hook or a pchild cleanup takes forever/deadlocks, we're
toast anyway, since the scoreboard slot is occupied and we won't be able
to keep creating new child processes.)

2) a child exit hook or a pchild cleanup segfaults and accept mutex
mechanism isn't automatically cleaned up by the OS

(mechanism = pthread, 3rd party module = XXX)

deadlock :(

If anybody wants a toy 1.3 module to sleep or segfault in child exit
hook, just let me know.  It is much easier to install than the
commercial version.