httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: derived files in CVS?
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 01:11:29 GMT
--On Saturday, May 3, 2003 7:41 PM +0100 Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> wrote:

> Of course it is! Our stance has always been that developers have to have
> _all_ the tools available.

IIRC, the issue came up was that different versions of flex/bison (whatever)
produce very different code (and in some special cases, very broken).
Therefore, it isn't very reliable.  Since this is mainline code (unlike
configure which has no direct impact on the resulting binary), I believe the
intent was to make the output well-known and tested.

I believe PHP jumps through a lot of hoops to verify the output of flex and
bison and that only helps to a limited degree (they've still been burned).
Someone more familiar with PHP might be able to shed some light.  -- justin