httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Who decides what modules go in core release?
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 10:43:38 GMT
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:31:44AM -0700, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> > I would like to suggest the addition of one or both of:
> >
> >   mod_macro  -- http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho/mod_macro/
> >
> >   mod_define -- http://www.shults.com/manual/mod/mod_define.html
> My concerns are:
>
> a) It is going to make it much more difficult to troubleshoot configuration
> problems
> b) It is going to make it really difficult for GUI tools like Webmin or
> Comanche to correctly parse/Save Apache configuration files (it is hard as
> it is now with IfDefines and IfModules all over the place :)
>
> Since, as you mention,  this is useful mostly for large installations
> (multiple machines, great number of virtual hosts) I believe it is
> completely ok the additional step of preprocessing the file using an
> external programming language or building your own mod_macro. While I
> understand why such module would be useful for you, if it were shipped with
> default Apache regular users and distributions would use it and we would
> have a) b) above.

I agree with Danial (and Dean) on this one. I would very strongly prefer to
see the config files in a declarative form, rather than programmatic.

In the past, there has been a suggestion to add a pipe form to the Include
directive. This would allow the administrator to run the processor
automatically by specifying the processing command within the Include
directive.

Cheers,
-g

--