httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: Who decides what modules go in core release?
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 07:31:44 GMT
> I would like to suggest the addition of one or both of:
>
>   mod_macro  -- http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho/mod_macro/
>
>   mod_define -- http://www.shults.com/manual/mod/mod_define.html
>
> I feel like one or both of these modules should be part of the core release
> at some point.  The benefits are great, the code is written in at least one
> case, and there shouldn't be any conflict or breaking of other features.

My concerns are:

a) It is going to make it much more difficult to troubleshoot configuration
problems
b) It is going to make it really difficult for GUI tools like Webmin or
Comanche to correctly parse/Save Apache configuration files (it is hard as
it is now with IfDefines and IfModules all over the place :)

Since, as you mention,  this is useful mostly for large installations
(multiple machines, great number of virtual hosts) I believe it is
completely ok the additional step of preprocessing the file using an
external programming language or building your own mod_macro. While I
understand why such module would be useful for you, if it were shipped with
default Apache regular users and distributions would use it and we would
have a) b) above.

Cheers

Daniel