httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Torbjörn Carlsson <torbjorn.carls...@mobilitypartner.se>
Subject Proposal: Header-size
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 14:15:42 GMT

Hi.
In the move from 1.3 to 2.0, a parameter in mod_log_config changed.
%B/%b changed from bytes *really* sent to the same value as the response-header
Content-Length, regardless of how much data that was actually sent over the
wire.

I've seen comments on the list of the type "use mod_logio instead", but
mod_logio is different in one aspect: It includes the header-size.

In an unreliable network (read wireless or mobile) I need the ability to
confirm that all data has been sent to the client.
Because of the variable size of the response-header this is not really possible
with mod_logio as is. The best I can get is an approximation.
"If %O > %B => Download probably OK"

To fix this I've patched http_protocol to get the header-size data, (See
included patch), to put the header-size in a note in the request_rec.
This data can then be picked up in the log-module with %{Header-Size}n
"%O - %{Header-Size}n => Bytes downloaded"

Are there any problems with this patch, have I missed some sideeffects, or is
it something that can be added to the source-tree, for example to the mod_logio
instrumentation ?

Regards
/Torbjörn

--
Torbjörn Carlsson                               Mobility Partner AB
email:  torbjorn.carlsson@mobilitypartner.se    Box 1117, Kungsbron 21