httpd-dev mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Please review the mod_negotiation patch
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:44:59 GMT
Folks,

there's a mod_negotiation patch (the "prefer-language" thing) hanging around
in the status file for months. I'm at the stage now, I want to use the
feature provided there for our docs. Just another explanation: I've set up
an example that you may imagine, why the patch would be useful in 2.0, too:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/

displays the language, your browser sends via "Accept-Language". Now I'v set
up a somewhat complex set of RewriteRules (in a .htaccess file), that map
virtual directories for every language we provide to the same physical
directory. Try for example

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/de/

and you'll get the German version, regardless of your browser's preferences.
If you try a document which isn't translated yet (e.g.
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/de/bind.html>) you'll get again the one
which matches best your preferences. (I've called that algorithm "forced
negotiation" :-).

However, there are plans for a long time to add some cross-language links
with exactly that feature to the docs. The problem is - if we want to
distribute it with our releases, we cannot force the people to use
mod_rewrite just to *read their docs*. The mod_negotiation patch provides
the key feature, after that we are able to use modules that are still
expected to be available (mod_alias, mod_setenvif and mod_negotiation).

Please consider some words about this topic.

Thanks, nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }