httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: segfaulting in proxy land today
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:03:49 GMT
> I still have to resolve Bill Rowe's -1 - it seems that certain backend
> processes (mod_proxy, mod_jk, etc) might set their own date, but then
> Apache overwirtes it with its own - but simply allowing the backend
> date through is also not correct... the fun continues.

That part of the patch was correct -- http_protocol must allow the
modules
to set their own Date header field and must respect that value.  The
code in question is left-over from the days when proxy did not send
bug for a long time, but only became significant when proxy was added
to the HTTP filter.

There is no need to check for a Via header field -- we already assume
that the modules behave nicely.  Any module smart enough to set Date
is acting as a gateway, which means that the server core is not the
origin server (as defined by HTTP).

....Roy