httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: file locking log files ?
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:13:12 GMT
Files open for APPEND, write on unix should write atomically to the file.
On Win32 in apr/file_io for Apache2 we set up our own locking to do the
same sort of thing.  As far as cross-machine locking, I dunno, but this
has historically been sufficient for one machine/cross-process log files.

Bill

At 01:32 PM 4/28/2003, christopher justin wrote:
>hi list,
>
>In looking at http_log.c and alloc.c , I don't see any code that actually does file locking
when logging to log files.  Does the logging mechanism lock the standard log files before
writing ?

>I am writing an Apache module that needs to do its own custom Log format.. I was hoping
the Apache logging API provided file locking so that I do not have to worry about it.