httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Antw: win32 piped logs really broken in 2.0.45
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 23:59:08 GMT
At 02:41 PM 4/4/2003, Bill Stoddard wrote:

>>Unless you are doing pphrase tricks, you shouldn't create the Apache
>>service to 'interact with desktop'.  By default Apache installs itself
>>non-interactive.
>>If it can still interact, you have some really weird permissions mojo
>>going on in that box.
>
>Hey Bill, can you elaborate on that? Ever since I installed a recent version
>of cygwin, I have indeed encountered weird permission problems.  I expect
>there is a way to completely disable cygwin permissions. I don't understand
>how that could cause rotatelog consoles to pop up. Oh, in case I wasn;t clear before,
piped logging is working now that I frobbed the access protection of the log directory, but
I still get the rotatelogs console.

If you see a console, then the WinNT service is marked to "allow service
to interact with desktop" ... turn off that flag in the control panel ... admin tools
... services list; right click on apache2 and choose properties.  It's in the
"Log On" tab.

But Cygwin may have tweaked the LocalSystem account to perpetually
allow access to the desktop - I'm afraid I can't be of much help there...

At 03:29 PM 4/4/2003, Spinka, Kristofer wrote:
>  In addition, I was just thinking that there might be a missing
>"| CREATE_NO_WINDOW" on the creation flags for CreateProcess.

I'll spend some time this weekend looking at this...

IIRC CREATE_NO_WINDOW ***totally*** hoses pipes under some
circumstances.  Better to allow the window to be created; but with the
show window flag hidden.  Unfortunately cmd.exe itself has it's fingers
in how Win32 transfers standard handles to the child process.

Bill