httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: resolver apache 1.3.27 -> 2.0.45
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:07:52 GMT
Bastiaan van der Put wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing some tests to go from version 1.3.27 to 2.0.45
> Allmost everything works fine except this command for resolving the logs :
>
> CustomLog "|/usr/local/apache2/bin/logresolve >>
> /location_of_the_access_log" combined
>
> It runs ok on apache 1.3.27, on 2.0.45 it gives :
>
> piped log program '/usr/local/apache2/bin/logresolve >>
> /location_of_the_access_log' failed unexpectedly
> Usage: logresolve [-s statfile] [-c] < input > output

It would appear to be a bug in 2.0!  Thanks for pointing this out.

The ugly OS-specific code in 1.3 (which worked) was moved into a nice
abstraction in APR which supported more ways of running a program.  The
logging code neglected to tell APR to use the shell to run the piped
logger, so redirection doesn't currently work.  Clear as mud?

Unfortunately, turning on the flag that tells APR to use the shell
doesn't bring happiness yet.  My initial reaction is that APR needs some
tweaking as well.

Stay tuned.

I suspect that you could use a simple shell script as a work-around.
Tell Apache to use the shell script as the piped logger, and have the
shell script invoke logresolve using redirected stdout.