httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_protocol.c
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:22:15 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Now, if you want to conditionally apply this logic, based either on the
> presence of a Via: header (meaning HTTP/1.1 carries different semantic
> meaning for the Date: header) or on the r->proxyreq flag, or both, that's fine.

Looking at this some more, the Via header is optional (and therefore not
reliable indication), we could use r->proxyreq, that would be reliable
but only for proxy. mod_jk, etc will still have their dates munged. What
happens to the behaviour of mod_cache and Date - surely cache should
return the Date of the cached resource, not the date now, or am I
reading the RFC wrong?

The way I understand it, if some entity within Apache has preset the
date field, it is probably because underlying code requires the date to
be that value. I do not understand why the code should be required to
overwrite a date that is already present.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street