httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: how to make mutex mechanism selection even more difficult to describe :)
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:44:15 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Tuesday, April 15, 2003 7:49 PM -0400 Jeff Trawick
> <trawick@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> add directive DefaultMutex with same syntax as current AcceptMutex
>>
>> default value is APR's default
>

> How would we specify file-based mutexes?

DefaultMutexPath specifies a directory (defaults to logs/) , modules
specify a unique-ish name within whatever mutex directory is in force
(rewrite_log_mutex, prefork_accept_mutex, etc.)

so make the set DefaultMutexMechanism and DefaultMutexPath...  two
Apache instances can't share the same DefaultMutexPath since mod_foo
would hard-code its mutex file name within that path

and get rid of as much other mutex configuration as possible

still need AcceptMutex since that is so critical performance-wise
don't need LockFile
may or may not need SSL mutex directive
RewriteLock pathname becomes RewriteLock Enable|Disable
(or maybe mod_rewrite just knows to get this lock if there is an
external rewrite program)

>> alternatively, keep adding mutex-mechanism-related directives for every
>> blasted mutex or maybe add to APR a way to tailor the default mechanism
>> without rebuilding everything (but apps like Apache would need to be
>> able to
>> dynamically query the default mechanism to know if special processing
>> like
>> setting permissions on SysV sems is necessary)
>

> Yes, the option that I think would be the cleanest is to somehow signal
> to APR what the default should be.

/etc/apr.conf for global changes or the app still having to use
something like DefaultMutex prior to tell APR what to do before actually
creating any mutexes :(

> Good luck, and excuse me while I run very far away from you.  ;-)  --

too ugly to attack just for this I suspect...  we'd need many more
issues begging for an APR config file before it would be reasonable to
introduce that type of configuration