httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: MaxMemFree: kilobytes or megabytes?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:38:54 GMT
Dmitri Tikhonov wrote:
> I'm seeing some weird things happening with MaxMemFree directive
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#maxmemfree).  The
> docs say that this directive specifies the number of kilobytes after
> which the memory is returned back to the system, but I found
> evidence to the contrary:

The docs talk about returning the storage to the heap (i.e., calling
free()).  Whether passing storage to free() will cause the C library
heap code to return it to the OS is OS-dependent (and probably even
context-dependent, since there may be storage still allocated to the app
on pages with free space tracked by the heap.