httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: ap_invoke_filter_init is not called for non-request filters
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 05:02:25 GMT
--On Tuesday, April 8, 2003 9:39 AM +1000 Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> The punch line is that filters aren't only request oriented.

Sure, they may be connection-oriented, but, as I said before, they'd still be
in the r->input_filters and r->output_filters list.

> What I'm saying is that currently only filters that process HTTP protocol
> get a chance to run filter_init. If a non-HTTP protocol is run (there is no
> 'r'), the filter_init function will be ignored. Am I more clear now?

No.  But, if you are using a custom protocol that avoids handlers, then you
need to determine the best time to call the filter_init functions.  That's a
protocol-specific idiom.  HTTP happens to do it before any content is
delivered by placing it in the ap_invoke_handler() function.  If your protocol
doesn't use ap_invoke_handler(), then it has to do that itself.

Again, if you have a concrete example of what you are trying to accomplish,
that would help tremendously.  -- justin