httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Scoreboard failure: v2.0.45 won't start on RH v7.3
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:00:09 GMT
--On Saturday, April 5, 2003 7:42 PM +0200 Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>
wrote:

> I am trying to start up a v2.0.45 httpd server on a Redhat v7.3 box, however
> the startup bombs with the following error:
> As can be seen, any preexisting file is supposed to be erased before an
> attempt is made to create a shared memory segment, so in theory "file
> exists" should never happen.

Well, you don't need to use named-based scoreboard on Linux.  Just remove the
ScoreBoardFile directive.

Even though, named-based scoreboards should work.  But, you need to indicate
which shared memory system your APR is using.  Then, you need to see where
exactly the error is coming from within APR - what system call is returning
it?  What does the man page say for that call?

It could be that your system is out of semaphores.  You may want to see what
ipcs reports and perhaps delete a bunch of stale ones (mod_rewrite eats
semaphores for lunch).  That's a pretty common occurrence.  -- justin

P.S. The fact that your system is complaining that the pid file is overwritten
may indeed mean that there is another httpd running.