httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kutschker <Martin.T.Kutsch...@blackbox.net>
Subject hints for the CGI author
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:37:30 GMT
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:31:21 -0500
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
Subject: Re: segfaulting in proxy land today

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:04:09 -0700
From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>

> Yes, in this case, because the worst that they could do is screw over
> caching of their own resources, and there are easier ways to do that.

How about some info for CGI authors on the Apache site? There is a small CGI How To, perhaps
some hints could be added there (in the form of a FAQ?).

Issues:

How shall I handle HEAD requests?

Treat them as GET requests, because an output filter may change the content body and/or the
content headers.
If the request is costly try enabling the Apache cache. Send out only headers, if you are
*really* sure (i.e. you are the server administrator) that no filters are enabled.

XXX (any suggestions on formulation)?

Don't output a Date header as Apache will assume it is a proxy/gateway request.

Masi