httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs STATUS
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:44:48 GMT
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:26:40PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> So the remaining questions;
> *) Do we want to support AddContentEncoding: identity?
>    (and have the headers-core remove the content-encoding tag identity
>     before transmitting the headers, to comply with the rfc).
> *) Do we want to support 'multi-extention' Add{Foo} directives - such as
>    the combination tar.gz or other combined meanings?

You and I know that .tar.gz.md5 is an md5,
and that .tar.gz is a gzip compresed tar archive
and that .log.gz is gzip-encoded text/plain

Allowing the user to specify the meaning of multi-extension strings
(longest match of the _end_ of the filename only), allows us to assign
appropriate content-type and content-encodings, not to mention

It is all about how we want the client to handle the file.  If I
precompress some large html files, I want a request for html.gz
to be content-type: text/html and transfer-encoding gzip (which
mod_gzip or mod_deflate could add, without having to do any
inline compression.)  Same thing for .tar.gz.md5.gz  (How's that
for an example!)

> *) Should we provide an example such as '.gze' to distinguish
>    gzip-encoded documents from gzip content type documents
>    (application/x-gzip)?
> Bill

View raw message