httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitri Tikhonov <dmi...@netilla.com>
Subject MaxMemFree: kilobytes or megabytes?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:55:36 GMT
I'm seeing some weird things happening with MaxMemFree directive
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#maxmemfree).  The
docs say that this directive specifies the number of kilobytes after
which the memory is returned back to the system, but I found
evidence to the contrary:

On start-up, the size of my Apache process is 20 MB (so large because of
mod_perl and many preloaded Perl modules).  An output filter allocates
about 7 MB.  When MaxMemFree is set to either 1024 (supposedly 1 MB) or
10, the memory is not freed.  When it is set to 1, 2, or 4, the memory
is freed and the process is back to 20 MB.  When it's set to 5 or 6,
the memory is not freed.

The question is, is it really kilobytes, megabytes, or something else?
The code is quite complex, and I was not able to trace it all the way and
figure out exactly what is going on.

I tested this with 2.0.43 and 2.0.45; the filter uses f->r->pool.

Thanks,

  - Dmitri.