httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Ollerenshaw <>
Subject Re: Advanced Mass Hosting Module
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 05:05:55 GMT
On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 12:45 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> I was looking at the code, and I think we could acheive alot if we
> replaced
> the calls
> to the vhost-parsing code on
> &
> with 2 hooks. this would give the added benefit of moving the
> name-based
> virtual hosting
> into modules/http where it belongs.
> we would still have a problem creating the server configs on the fly,
> but
> that is a smaller problem
> which the module writer could attempt.

Ok. This would probably be a much better solution than what I was
originally proposing. (I'm not sure I made a very clear proposal, btw).

If we can futz around with the vhosts that apache thinks it has in
memory, *and* somehow age them and remove them if they don't get
accessed in a specified amount of time, we would run an awful amount of
*individually configured* vhosts off a single apache instance and never
have to graceful it.

Which is my ultimate aim, at any rate.

Nathan Ollerenshaw - Systems Engineer - Shared Hosting
ValueCommerce Japan -

In the days, When we were swinging form the trees
I was a monkey, Stealing honey from a swarm of bees
I could taste, I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind

View raw message