httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: AIX: ld -bI:httpd.exp vs. ld -lhttpd
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:24:47 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>
>>> The shared object has symbols that aren't intended for use by
>>> applications, whereas the .exp file doesn't.  Personally, I think it
>>> is a good thing that we have a tight control over our API, so I think
>>> in terms of getting httpd.exp fixed instead of forgetting about that
>>> mechanism altogether.
>>

>> So, you say that it's a better practice to use the exp file than the
>> shared object. Especially since I still not sure what the shared
>> object is in case of httpd (in contrast to apr/apr-util which are libs).
>

> yes, in my opinion it is better practice to use the exp file

Thanks Jeff!

>>> mod_perl has been caught before on AIX calling functions which
>>> weren't intended to be part of the API because of the use of
>>> httpd.exp.  Is that useful to anybody?
>>

>> Sorry, I'm not following you here. You just said above that using
>> httpd.exp is the safest since it only provides symbols which are
>> exported.
>

> this was an attempt at anecdotal support for what I mentioned earlier...
>
> more clearly:
>
> a couple of years ago mod_perl wouldn't build on AIX because it called
> an httpd function which wasn't listed in httpd.exp...  it wasn't listed
> in httpd.exp because it wasn't an intended part of the API...

That's a similar trouble I've had with apr_generate_random_bytes, but for a
different reason (not using APR_HAS_RANDOM).

Yesterday, I've patched the mod_perl 2.0 build code to build on aix (tested on
powerpc/aix/5.1). The interesting thing that I haven't used .exp's at all
(neither -lapr/-laprutil/etc). I've used -berok and -brtl and let everything
to be resolved at the startup time. This seems to work just fine, since by the
time mod_perl boots, httpd/apr/aprutil are all loaded in memory.

Do you think this will work on other aix versions/platforms?