httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: AIX: ld -bI:httpd.exp vs. ld -lhttpd
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:28:30 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> The shared object has symbols that aren't intended for use by
>> applications, whereas the .exp file doesn't.  Personally, I think it
>> is a good thing that we have a tight control over our API, so I think
>> in terms of getting httpd.exp fixed instead of forgetting about that
>> mechanism altogether.
>

> So, you say that it's a better practice to use the exp file than the
> shared object. Especially since I still not sure what the shared object
> is in case of httpd (in contrast to apr/apr-util which are libs).

yes, in my opinion it is better practice to use the exp file

>> mod_perl has been caught before on AIX calling functions which weren't
>> intended to be part of the API because of the use of httpd.exp.  Is
>> that useful to anybody?
>

> Sorry, I'm not following you here. You just said above that using
> httpd.exp is the safest since it only provides symbols which are exported.

this was an attempt at anecdotal support for what I mentioned earlier...

more clearly:

a couple of years ago mod_perl wouldn't build on AIX because it called
an httpd function which wasn't listed in httpd.exp...  it wasn't listed
in httpd.exp because it wasn't an intended part of the API...